" Tempus Fugit "

Mesa

Monday, December 8, 2008

HOW MANY REMEMBER ?

How many y'all remember when TV stations had
technical difficulties and had to put up a test pattern
and signed off the air at 1 or 2 A.M. after the Late Show
or the Late News when all we had was our local &
Network TV stations ? When TV was FREE !

I remember those days, I remember my Pop gettin
up at 12:30 or so to go to the bathroom
(our 1 bathroom for a family of 6 was off the hallway)
and steppin into the living room to say
"what are you still doin up, turn that TV off and
get to bed" to which I would reply somethin like
"but the movie is almost over" even if it still had an
hour or more to go. Pop would always say "well as
soon as it's over you get to bed". Of course this was
on Fri. and or Sat. nights. Ahh the good ole days.

Here's a link to a site where y'all can see some station
sign offs from around the country, unfortunately there isn't
one from any of my local stations and the oldest one I
found is from 1977, let me know in comments if ya see one
from your hometown and if ya remember it.

http://www.tv-signoffs.com/


I even found and remember this HBO sign off from
1979 when HBO and cable TV was young .

For those of you who remember this stuff I hope it
has brought back some pleasant memories.
For you younger folks, how many of you had no idea
HBO EVER signed off the air at night ?

 
Click Here For Thousands Of Free Blogger Templates ~ Pyzam.Com